Ebola: Lagos Pays Tribute To Late Doctor, Says No Cause For Alarm, Harps On Hand-washing, Other Precautionary Measures
Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris (2nd left), his Information & Strategy and Special Duties counterparts, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba (2nd right), Dr. Wale Ahmed (left) and the Special Adviser on Media to the Governor, Mr. Hakeem Bello (right) during an update press briefing on the Ebola Virus Disease at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, the Secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 20, 2014. 

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday, 20th August, 2014 paid tribute to the late Senior Consultant/ Endocrinologist at First Consultant Medical Centre, Obalende, Lagos, Dr Stella Ameyo-Adadevoh, who it said, took the initiative to intimate the Ministry of Health of the index Ebola case and that substantially to her credit the moderate containment is owed.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris who gave the update at a news conference he addressed at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, Alausa alongside his Special Duties and Information and Strategy counterparts: Dr. Wale Ahmed and Mr Lateef Ibirogba respectively, informed that Dr Ameyo-Adadevoh passed on the night of Tuesday, 19th August, 2014, after battling to survive the Ebola infection.

“She led the team who attended to the index case. Her doggedness and commitment to duty saw her personally reviewing the case even though the patient had earlier been seen by a doctor. No doubt, she and the other affected health workers are the heroes and heroines of the day,” he said.

Dr Idris commiserated with the families, co-workers, friends and loved ones of the affected health workers on the irreparable loss, which occurred while she was on the line of duty.

He urged the residents of the state “to be vigilant, especially with regards to people, who are ill. There is no panic as long as basic precautionary measures (hand-washing, adoption of proper waste management and enhanced personal and environmental hygiene) are adhered to.”

He stressed that the state has health personnel in place to manage the current cases even as efforts are being redoubled to secure the services of more volunteers to cope with any contingency.

Addressing concerns being raised about those who have been discharged and declared free of the Virus, Dr Idris  said they were discharged after undergoing the established protocol of the World Health Organisation (WHO) international regulations and that they are still being followed up.

The Commissioner also disclosed that its contact-tracing team are observing five suspected cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) that have been referred for care and further tests adding later that two of these five have proved negative.

While maintaining that the health authorities have not foreclosed the emergence of new cases, he underscored that there is no panic as long as the basic precautionary measures such as hand washing, adoption of appropriate waste management and enhanced personal environmental hygiene are adhered to.

He encouraged persons who have come in contact with infected persons to report early for treatment as such improves chances of survival, adding that the state remains committed to containing the outbreak in concert with its partners.

Dr Idris also encouraged the private health sector to further cooperate with the government and promptly report any suspected case stressing the need for basic universal precaution and barrier nursing which should be uppermost.  
 
 

Recommend to friends
  • gplus
  • pinterest