Killer DPO Took A Gun From A Policeman, Shot Directly At Protesters – Witnesses Tell Court

By Funke Busari

Two prosecution witnesses, Adekunle Alabi and Alimi Abubakar, on Tuesday insisted that the dismissed Divisional Police Officer, Segun Fabunmi actually shot at some fuel subsidy protesters on Jan. 9, 2012 at Ogba area of Lagos.

The witnesses told a Lagos High Court while testifying before Justice Olabisi Akinlade in Ikeja at the trial of Fabunmi, who was in charge of Pen Cinema Police Station, Agege, Lagos when the incident occurred.

Fabunmi was charged to court for the alleged murder of one Adedamola Daramola and for also inflicting grievous bodily harm on Abubakar and two other protesters, Egbujor Samuel and  Chibuzo Udo, by separately shooting at them with his gun.

Abubakar who was led in evidence by Mrs Olabisi Ogungbesan, Director of Public Prosecutions, Lagos State, said himself and some other persons were at Yaya Abatan Junction, Ogba on that day reading newspapers when the policemen arrived in two patrol vehicles.

He said the team which was led by the defendant arrived at about 8 am and one of the officers started shooting in the air and towards the ground to scare people away.

According to him, Fabunmi snatched the gun from the officer and started shooting at the people at the junction including the deceased, Daramola.

He said: “I can’t tell how many times he fired but I was hit by a bullet on my leg.

“Daramola was standing by my side and the bullet also injured him. He ran towards Abeokuta Street while I ran into a nearby mosque.”

Abubakar further claimed that  he saw Fabunmi chasing Daramola and some other persons towards Abeokuta Street from where he was hiding inside the mosque.

The witness admitted that he did not see Fabunmi shoot Daramola because he was in hiding.

He said he was rushed by some boys, alongside the badly injured Daramola, to the Ifako General Hospital  after the police had left.

He said Daramola later died as a result of the bullet wounds while he was referred to another hospital for treatment.

Another witness, Alabi, who resides at 84 Yaya Abatan Street, also testified that he saw Fabunmi snatching the gun from another policeman and shooting straight at the protesters.

He said the deceased, who was a tailor, was among the boys that were injured after the alleged shooting spree.

Alabi said:”I saw everything from my house where I was hiding.

“After the police left, I came out and I saw a bullet which I gave to the Baale of the community.

“Some policemen later came and took my statement and asked me to come and give evidence in court.”

The matter was adjourned till Oct.25 for continuation of trial.

Related Articles

Back to top button