Attacks by Islamic terror sect, Boko Haram, has claimed more than 1,200 people since May, 2013 when a state of emergency was declared in three North Eastern states, the United Nations said on Monday.
The toll included civilians, military personnel as well as insurgents killed by security forces repelling attacks, a report by the AFP said.
The Federal Government had placed Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states under emergency rule on May 14, following waves of deadly violence by the Islamist insurgents and thousands of troops, backed by air support, were deployed in the northeast to crush the four-year-old uprising.
The UN toll is the first independent fatality figure to have emerged since the military operation began.
“Some 1,224 people have been killed in Boko Haram related attacks” since May, the UN humanitarian agency said in a statement.
But OCHA spokeswoman, Choice Okoro, told AFP that the UN figure did not include insurgents killed during targeted military operations.
Defence officials have in recent months released a series of statements claiming scores of rebel deaths in operations on Boko Haram strongholds.
The details of those statements have been difficult to verify amid a communication blackout in much of the northeast and the military has been widely accused of downplaying fatalities among civilians and its own personnel.
“The humanitarian situation in northeast Nigeria has been increasingly worrisome over the course of 2013,” the UN said, adding that there had been 48 separate “Boko Haram related” attacks in the region since emergency rule was declared.