Court Voids Nasarawa Assembly’s Resolution On LG Polls

The chairman of Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission (NASIEC), Dr. Modibbo Sallau, yesterday admitted before the Assembly that he had erred by withholding election result of three local government areas after the returning officers had declared the winners of the election in the affected local governments.

He further agreed to comply with the resolution of the House to clear the air by announcing the results as declared by the returning officers of the affected local governments which include Nasarawa, Obi and Akwanga.

In a sudden twist, however, a court injunction was served on NASIEC, restraining it from entertaining any questions on the election as the tribunal is constituted to address issues arising from the election.

Speaking to LEADERSHIP, the NASIEC chairman said the court order has voided any commitment he made to the state Assembly and that would go ahead to conduct re-run elections in the three remaining local governments as it earlier scheduled.

Meanwhile, the police arrested the Nasarawa State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Innocent Lagi, for scaling the fence to gain access into the premises of the state House of Assembly while the members were at plenary.

Mr Lagi, a former lawmaker in the state, was denied access into the Assembly complex by security operatives drafted there to avoid breakdown of law and order when the chairman and commissioners of NASIEC appeared before it with respect to irregularities that attended last Saturday’s local government polls in the state.

LEADERSHIP findings revealed that Lagi, who arrived the Assembly complex about midday in a leaf green range rover, was said to have driven there to serve a court injunction on the Assembly restraining it from quizzing NASIEC chairman and commissioners over last week’s local government polls.

Addressing the press on the matter, the Majority Leader of the Assembly, Hon. Godiya Akwashiki, said it was appalling for the chief law officer of the state to be involved in such a shameful act, saying the motive was suspicious and would be thoroughly investigated.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Umar Ismaila, confirmed that Lagi was at the state police command headquarters where he had a closed-door meeting with the commissioner shortly after which left the premises.

Efforts to get the Attorney General to comment on the matter failed.

Related Articles

Back to top button