By Timothy Agbor, Osogbo
For the second time this year, one of the hostels on the campus of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun state, southwest Nigeria has been gutted by fire.
The fire, which occurred around 11am on Thursday, 18th December, 2014 affected Block A, Room 304 of Moremi Hall, one of the female hostels of the institution.
It could be recalled that block 7, Room 107 of the Awolowo Hall of the institution was in flame in July when the students were on break.
This incident is coming when most of the occupants of Moremi Hall had gone home for the end of the Harmattan Semester holiday.
According to eye witnesses’ account, there has not been electricity supply for three days before electricians of the institution came top the room to rectify the fault but met the room locked.
It was gathered that the electricians had gone to the other rooms in the block to fix the light before there was an electricity surge from an electric cooker otherwise called hot plate which caused the inferno.
The fire could have extended to other rooms in the hostel but for the prompt response of staff of the university at the gate of the hostel who called the fire fighters.
Items like books, clothes, matresses, food stuffs and electronic gadgets were burnt to ashes as the wall cracked.