THE POSTPONEMENT OF THE FEBRUARY 2015 GENERAL ELECTIONS AS A COUP AGAINST DEMOCRACY
The Committee for the Protection of Peoples Mandate (CPPM) condemns in strong terms the feeble, blackmail, ridiculous, irresponsible, irresponsive, insensitive, insultive, undignifying, assault on national dignity and integrity, provocative, threat to national security, invitation to anarchy and undemocratic postponement of the February 2015 general elections by INEC.
We regard the grounds for this postponement as a coup against democracy which is unacceptable and must be resisted by all legitimate means possible.
The dates for the elections were announced well over a year ago by the electoral umpire and preparations by all stakeholders had reached frenzied stage even in the midst of subterranean moves by the Presidency to sabotage the election by deploying state machineries and resources through the policy statement of the National Security Adviser (NSA) in London and the recruitment of persons and groups to champion the calls for postponement of the election in violation of democratic tenets.
The advice of the National Security Adviser and security chiefs to INEC that the elections be shifted for 6 weeks because they cannot guarantee security in order to allow for concentration of the battle against insurgency in the North Eastern states is ridiculous and smacks of mischief, indiscipline, partisanship, unprofessionalism, bias, dereliction of duty, violation of constitutional oath, conspiracy and assault on democracy.
The position of the INEC chairman in stating reasons for the postponements has subjected Nigeria to international ridicule, is too conditional and has the potential of creating room for further postponements which is a danger to national unity, peace, security and an assault on democracy.
Therefore, in the light of the above, we demand the following:
- We reject this postponement in its entirety and demand immediate reversal of the dates.
- Immediate resignation of the National Security Adviser (NSA) and service chiefs
- Immediate arrest and prosecution of the NSA and service chiefs for this treasonable act.
- Immediate convocation of the National Assembly to deal with this coup against democracy.
- Immediate resignation of President Jonathan from office for this assault on national unity, peace, security and democracy.
- We call on professional bodies like NBA, NMA, NUT, labour centers like NLC, TUC, civil society groups, religious bodies, faith based organizations, artisans, market men and women, unemployed youths and other patriotic Nigerians to rise up in defence of democracy now!
- A call on ECOWAS parliament and other international parliamentary bodies to suspend Nigeria’s membership forthwith.
A coup against democracy has just taken place and if we don’t all rise up together to confront this civilian dictatorship, national peace and security will be endangered.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.