News

Demolition: Aggrieved Family To Sue Fayose Town’s Monarch, Others

By Gbenga Sodeinde, in Ado Ekiti

The family of the late Pa Omotoso of Afao Ekiti, Governor Ayodele Fayose’s country home has threatened to sue the Alafao, Oba Joseph Ademilua and members of his council over demolition of their family house in the town.

The family, who spoke through the eldest son, Pastor David Omotoso in Ado Ekiti at the weekend, also indicted Fayose as being part of the conspiracy to victimize the family because of their membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Omotoso, who was flanked by another daughter of the family, Mrs Yemi
Oluwayose, said the community was up to a mischief by demolishing the old building without consulting the family, wondering why the new building being built behind was also pulled down .

The governor had, however, denied any involvement in any plan to grab the land from the family to give way for the expansion of the palace, which was situated directly behind the one-storey building.

It will be recalled that the Afao Development Council had recently demolished the one-storey building because it has been blown off by tornado and became dilapidated, thereby posing danger to the pupils of the nearby primary schools, who were fond of taking refuge in the abandoned building.

But Omotoso insisted that the excavation of the rubble and his forebear’s tombs from the portion at night after demolition gave room for suspicion that it was intended to take over the land and erase the family from history.

He said the family would sue the monarch and seek compensation for the colossal damage done to their artifact and other valuables, which could have been protected if they were carried along.

“This house was built in 1953 but it was blown off by wind about two years ago. The administration of ex-Governor Kayode Fayemi intervened and assisted the family with a sum of N10,000 to reroof the building which we did.

“It was when we realized that the house was weak that we decided to build a new one behind it. The land belonged to our forebears and about six tombs and other artifacts were inside which they destroyed in the cause of demolishing it.

“But it was disheartening that we were not given any notice before carrying out the act. There were more dilapidated houses in Afao which they did not demolish.

“It was during the first term of Governor Fayose that they encroached on our land and built the new palace. Even the fence encroached on it, but we allow that for peace to reign.

“The Governor had earlier made pronouncement during the 2014 Afao
Day that Omotoso family should not do anything on that land and he said we should come and see him. He even said that our family house must give way for the palace .

“I came on December 27, 2014 to see him and I was told he travelled out of the country. I then wrote a letter to him by one Tope Anjorin, but there was no reply. And I did not receive any correspondence from the governor acknowledging my letter .

“Only to be called on 2nd May, 2015 that my father’s house had been demolished and that nothing is standing again on that land,
including even the new one that we are erecting. This is totally mischievous and unacceptable .

“We are warning them not to build anything on that land because it belongs to us. The claim that the place posed danger to the pupils is to cover up their mischief. All they wanted to do was to erase our family’s name in Afao Ekiti. We are going to challenge this injustice in court”, he said.

Related Articles

Back to top button