Metro

Man Accused Of Manslaughter Gets N200, 000 Bail

A Surulere Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Friday admitted 47-year-old Chigoziem Onyeneke, who is accused of manslaughter, to bail in the sum of N200, 000.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs A. A. Famobiwo, in her ruling ordered that the accused should present one responsible surety in like sum.

She said the surety must be gainfully employed, with a verifiable address.

Onyeneke, who resides at No. 60, Asabo St., Mobil Estate, Satellite Town, Lagos is facing a two-count charge of driving in a manner endangering the lives of other road users and manslaughter.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Clement Okuoimose, told the court that the accused committed the offences at Second Rainbow Bus Stop, Apapa/Oshodi expressway, Lagos on Oct.16.

He said the accused, who was driving a Honda Pilot SUV with Reg No. (LAGOS) FST 755 AT, drove on the public highway, in a manner dangerous to other road users, which caused the death of Raphael Falere.

“The 71-year old Falere who resided at No. 13, Turner Close, Mosafejo, Amukoko, Lagos, was run over by Onyeneke, while he was trying to cross the service lane.

“The victim was rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), where he gave up on Oct. 17 at about 02.00 p.m.

“And since then, the accused’s SUV has been impounded and parked at the Orile Iganmu Police Station,’’ he said.

Okuoimose said the act offended Sections 19(1) and 20 of the Road Traffic Law of Lagos State, 2012.

The case was adjourned to Nov. 26, for mention. (NAN)

Related Articles

Back to top button