By Abimbola Ogunnaike
Two members of staff of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) in Lagos State were on Saturday, 20 May, 2023 electrocuted in the Obalande area of Lagos Island.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident on Sunday, 21 May, 2023, explaining that the case was reported to the Lion Building Division of the command on Saturday, 20 May, 2023, at about 5.55 pm, by another member of staff of the EKEDC from Lagos Island.
According to Hundeyin, the EKEDC worker reported that on Saturday, one of his colleagues simply identified as Umaru, 51 years old, allegedly got electrocuted while digging to locate a faulty transformer cable at the P&T Obalende area.
“In the process, another colleague named Sunday Awaruwa, 48 years old, who tried to rescue the victim was also electrocuted.
“Based on the report, detectives visited and photographed the scene, rescued the victims and rushed them to the Lagos Island General Hospital, where they were confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
“Their remains were deposited at the IDH Morgue, Yaba for autopsy. Meanwhile, an investigation is in progress,” the state police image maker said.