By Abimbola Ogunnaike
Tragedy has left a devastated following the tragic death of a two-month-old baby just two months after his mum passed away.
Little Dexter Khan-Barnes tragically died in his sleep at his home in Rishton, near Accrington, Lancashire, last July.
An inquest held at Blackburn Old Town Hall on 7June, 2023 heard that no cause of death could be identified, reports Lancs Live.
The baby was born on May 29, 2022, via an emergency caesarean section when his mum Laura Barnes suffered a devastating blood clot.
Laura’s mum Jennifer Barnes said the woman, who was looking forward to welcoming her baby, had suffered a stroke months earlier.
The heartbroken grandma and mum said her daughter and grandson are now together having being robbed of the chance to meet in their lifetimes.
Baby Dexter was born at 32 weeks and spent around six weeks in the neonatal unit before being discharged with his dad Shane Khan.
The day before his death, Dexter was checked over by a nurse who visited the house and found him to be in good health.
The night of the baby’s death, Mr Khan took him upstairs with two bottles ready for when he woke up in the night, as he had done the previous night.
Dexter was placed in his father’s bed, alongside his 14-month-old brother, with Mr Khan saying he started the night sleeping horizontally across the foot of the bed.
Summing up evidence from the investigation, coroner Richard Taylor said Mr Khan had moved to lay next to Dexter at around 4am and awoke again at around 5.30am.
At that point, he thought it unusual that Dexter’s arm was not moving as he normally would when hungry. He then noticed the baby’s arms were floppy and his eyes discoloured.
Emergency services were called to the house and Dexter was rushed to the Royal Blackburn Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
A post-mortem carried out by pathologist Dr William Simmons was unable to ascertain a cause of death and found no evidence of prior illness or injuries which could have contributed.
Speaking during the inquest, Mrs Barnes said concerns were raised within the family over risks of co-sleeping.
Summarising Dr Simmons’ evidence, Mr Taylor said: “In these circumstances, it is not possible to completely exclude accidental air obstruction as having caused to contributed to Dexter’s death. As such, the cause of death remains unascertained.”
Concluding, Mr Taylor said: “Dexter Khan-Barnes died on July 30, 2022 at Royal Blackburn Hospital having been found unresponsive at his home in the bed he shared with his brother.”
Source: Daily Mirror