By Timothy Agbor, Osogbo
The Osogbo branch of the Calvary Baptist Church has been gutted by inferno.
The fire incident occurred around 12midnight on Thursday, 2nd April, 2015 around Gbodofon, Jaleyemi street, Osogbo.
It was gathered that the inferno was as a result of electric surge in the church.
This situation has subjected the members of the church to sorrow as the church was burnt to ashes while properties running to millions were lost to the fire.
When our correspondent visited the scene of the fire incident, it was gathered that the call put forward to the Fire Service yielded no result has the service did not respond thus worsening he situation.
Speaking on the incident, the chairman of the benevolent committee of the church, Mr. Ademola Ojo described the incident as unfortunate.
Ojo explained that they (congregation) had concluded a service around 8pm the previous day before he received a telephone call from the church guard that the church was on fire.
According to him, “We (congregation) were here yesterday (wednesday) night to worship God, which we concluded about 8pm. We all went home without any sign not until around 12 am when the security men put a call over to inform us that the church was on fire.”
In a similar vein, the church Public Relations Officer, Oluwaseun Ibitoye, said that the fire was suspected to had originated from the church’s metre.
Ibitoye disclosed that the incident claimed no life but a number of properties was burnt to ashes.
He also said, “while the church was on fire we quickly rushed down to see how we actually call the fire fighters to come to our rescue and some members even went there but they told us that all their vehicles were not functioning.”
However, the PRO admonished members of the church to see the disaster as a mere test that should not shatter their faith but should triumph in Christ, as Christians.