Luis Suarez Signs A £63m Five Year Deal With Barcelona

Luis Suarez’s protracted transfer to Barcelona is nearly over the line.

Numerous sources in Spain reported late on Friday night that the two clubs finally agreed a fee of €75m (£63m) for the Uruguayan striker.

Suggestions are that the 27-year-old has agreed a five-year deal with Catalan giants.

But the sticking point in the deal is now the future of Barcelona forward Alexis Sanchez, who is a target for Liverpool.

The Reds are hoping to work the Chilean into the deal, and Barcelona are happy to accommodate this. But until Sanchez makes a decision either way on his future, Luis Suarez’s move to Catalonia cannot be completed.

Suarez’s latest biting controversy and subsequent four-month ban appeared to have proven the final straw for the Reds, with them finally cutting ties.

Reports intensified that the Anfield top brass were finally considering a sale in the days following the incident in Natal after Suarez was banished from the tournament and returned to Montevideo.

Barca paved the way for Suarez to move earlier this week praising him for apologising for his bite shame.

Sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta claimed he was “humble” for admitting he was wrong to bite Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.

Zubizarreta said: “Suarez has shown he is humble enough to admit an error, which is very important.

“He has been humble enough to apologise to those he has affected because it happened in the middle of a festival of football. In this case it’s the best thing a person can do.”

Barcelona believed they could land Suarez because of his four-month ban and Zubizarreta continued their public courtship by praising his footballing abilities.

“Everyone knows that Luis is an excellent player,” he said. “Everyone knows last season he played in various positions in attack, but everyone also knows that he is a Liverpool player.”

Related Articles

Back to top button