You may be healthy and active, but that doesn’t mean your penis won’t be experiencing certain changes that may be bothersome as you get older.
What are the changes? These ones…
• Drooping scrotum. According to a urologist, Dr. Brian Steixner, your scrotum will droop as you get older. This is mainly due to a loss in muscle mass. When you sit to use the toilet, your scrotum actually hits the water.
• Permanent shrinkage. This is a persistent, progressive loss of size as you age. Normal cells, once hale and hearty, get replaced by non-elastic fibres called collagen, which just sort of shrink your entire manhood — penis and scrotum. If you drink beer now, your case will be worse when old age sets in, experts say. As your beer belly gets bigger, the fat pad pushes out and a larger penis percentage gets buried under the skin. So, lose weight.
• Bended penis. Yes, as you progress in age, your penis is no longer that menacing pointer it was when you could get and sustain erection without much ado. As you age, you develop curvature. Thanks to repeated trauma from seemingly harmless things like sports and sexual activity, both of which make scar tissue to accumulate along the length of your penis. Worse, this scar tissue does not build up symmetrically. Where you were once an arrow, you become a bow. “Into your 60s and 70s,” says Steixner, “it can get worse and worse. I’ve seen patients whose penises like a question mark.”
• Erectile Dysfunction. This is the heart attack of the penis, Steixner says. There are more than 30 million men with ED, and the reason behind it is blood loss. For prevention, eat well and exercise.
• Cancer risk. Most men are familiar with the very real risks of prostate and testicular cancer, and symptoms of these are something to watch for as you age. But there’s also a risk of skin cancer on the penis itself. Also, men who are uncircumcised and neglect personal hygiene can create conditions that contribute to skin cancer.
• Consistent loss of size. As men age, testosterone levels will decrease. That means slight but consistent loss in size of the penis. The situation can also lead to decreased nerve function and sensitivity, which means difficulty achieving orgasm. In other words, your old man penis is going to last longer, but get shorter.