In an open challenge to Nigeria’s security forces, the terrorist group, Boko Haram, has written a threatening letter promising to attack Chibok again very soon, in the process spreading panic through the town in South-eastern Borno where over 200 secondary schoolgirls were kidnapped over two months ago.
Some 276 students were kidnapped from Government Secondary School, Chibok on April 14 by members of the sect after they had laid siege to the town.
Of the 276 girls who were taken away, 57 have regained their freedom while 219 remain in captivity.
Since their kidnapping, Chibok has gained global prominence following the social media campaign and outcry, resulting in the establishment of a global coalition to find and rescue the female students.
However, the purported letter written by the terrorists is said to have caused severe panic in Chibok, whose residents continue to relive the April 14 incident and is forcing many of them to flee the town.
Briefing reporters in Maiduguri yesterday, a top official of Chibok Local Government Area said a letter had been received from the terrorist group, stating that the town would soon be visited with terror.
The official said they immediately went to show the letter to the police authorities who assured them of maximum protection.
He said though the police had assured the residents of Chibok of protection, the people were still panic stricken, insisting that “everyone knows that this sect cannot be warded off by a pocket of security men and that perhaps informed why they sent a letter to us to expect them”.
He added: “Whenever Boko Haram tells you that they are coming, they never fail to come. Our fear now is that we don’t know when and how they are going to come, but our people are living in terror. We are calling for prayers as well as the government to provide adequate security in Chibok.”