By Daniel Oluwatobiloba Popoola
Senator representing Borno South in the Upper Legislative Chamber, Senator Mohammed Ndume, has urged the military to intensify operations to rescue schoolchildren and other residents abducted from communities in southern Borno State, with some of the victims spending more than 100 days in captivity.
Ndume made the appeal on Wednesday, 19 August, 2026, during a visit to the headquarters of the Theatre Command, North-East Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri, where he raised concerns over the prolonged absence of the victims from their families and communities.
The Senator’s appeal covers schoolchildren abducted from Mussa and Lassa in Askira Uba Local Government Area, passengers kidnapped along the Buratai axis, as well as victims still being held following the attack on Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area.
Ndume said the prolonged captivity had heightened anxiety among the victims’ families and communities, stressing that the length of time they had remained in the hands of their abductors made stronger action necessary.
While commending the military for its sustained campaign against insurgency in the North-East, the senator urged the Theatre Command to intensify efforts towards securing the victims’ release.
He said the appeal was not intended to condemn the military or disregard the sacrifices being made by troops fighting insurgency across the region.
Rather, Ndume said, it was his responsibility as the representative of the affected communities to continue drawing attention to the plight of his constituents and demand action on their behalf.
“Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe,” he said.
“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort.”
The Senator added that he was performing his duty by bringing the concerns of his constituents before the military authorities, noting that their continued captivity had placed an enormous burden on their families.
“Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” Ndume said.
He also commended the coordination between the military and other security agencies, describing the synergy as an important factor contributing to the progress recorded in the fight against insurgency in the North-East.
Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abubakar Abdulsalam, thanked Ndume for the visit and said the concerns raised over the abducted victims had been noted.
Abdulsalam reaffirmed the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, restoring stability and facilitating the return of people displaced by years of insurgency.
The Theatre Commander attributed the gains recorded in the theatre to the support provided by the Chief of Army Staff, whom he said had a strong understanding of the security and operational challenges confronting the North-East.
Ndume’s intervention comes amid continued concern over residents abducted from communities in southern Borno, as families await the safe return of their loved ones after months in captivity.

