• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Interviews
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Group Takes Tinubu Re-election Campaign to Abuja Streets
  • UN Raises Alarm Over $159m Funding Gap, Warns Millions of Nigerians May Miss Lifesaving Aid
  • Zulum Approves N2.65bn for Foreign Scholars, Doubles Borno Local Scholarships
  • Gombe Gov Yahaya Approves N148.76m Monthly Subvention Increase for State University
  • Ondo Govt Restates Commitment to Healthcare System 
  • Over 500 Nigerians Offer Spiritual Treatment for Ogogo, Says Jide Kosoko
  • Oyedele Urges States To Move Away from Allocation Dependence, Boost IGR
  • Wike Bans Use of FCT Green Areas as Car Lots
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Gazelle NewsThe Gazelle News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Interviews
  • Sports
The Gazelle NewsThe Gazelle News
Home » Wike Bans Use of FCT Green Areas as Car Lots
featured

Wike Bans Use of FCT Green Areas as Car Lots

Abimbola OgunaikeBy Abimbola OgunaikeAugust 19, 2026Updated:August 19, 2026No Comments2 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Daniel Oluwatobiloba Popoola 

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has directed the immediate stoppage of the use of green areas, parks and gardens in the nation’s capital as car dealership lots.

The directive was disclosed in a statement issued on Wednesday, 13 August, 2026, and signed by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, where the minister expressed concern over the conversion of areas designated for recreation into car lots.

According to the statement, the minister specifically decried the use of areas designated for parks and recreation, such as the Millennium Park and others, as car dealerships, directing that all unauthorised use of such areas would be closely monitored to ensure compliance.

The statement explained that the directive formed part of efforts by the FCT Administration to address the flooding being experienced in some parts of the Federal Capital City, disclosing that a Task Force had been set up to enforce the directive.

It said, “This is part of the efforts of the FCT Administration to manage flooding being experienced in some parts of the Federal Capital City. Consequently, a Task Force has been set up to enforce this directive.”

The statement further disclosed that the minister had directed an investigation into some civil servants allegedly responsible for granting illegal approvals authorising the use of green areas as car dealership lots.

Olayinka explained that the affected officials, particularly directors in the Departments of Parks and Recreation, Environmental Protection, Traffic Management and Urban Affairs, had been summoned by the FCT Head of Service, Nancy Nathan.

The development follows the commencement of the demolition of houses and other structures built on designated water channels in Abuja, with the FCT minister, after inspecting flood-affected areas in Maitama District, ordering the immediate demolition of all structures built on natural waterways and flood channels across the territory.

The Minister’s declaration followed a heavy downpour in Abuja on Saturday,9 August,2026, which flooded several parts of the FCT, disrupting vehicular movement, trapping motorists and forcing some businesses to temporarily shut as floodwater overwhelmed roads and drainage channels.

Wuse 2 in the city centre, as well as parts of Durumi, Gaduwa and Gudu districts, were among the areas badly affected by the flood, with several motorists stranded on flooded roads for hours and some vehicles reportedly developing mechanical faults, while residential and business properties were also affected.

The flooding also submerged several houses in Maitama, with residents attributing the incident to indiscriminate construction along waterways and blocked drainage channels.

Wike
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Abimbola Ogunaike

Related Posts

Group Takes Tinubu Re-election Campaign to Abuja Streets

August 19, 2026

UN Raises Alarm Over $159m Funding Gap, Warns Millions of Nigerians May Miss Lifesaving Aid

August 19, 2026

Zulum Approves N2.65bn for Foreign Scholars, Doubles Borno Local Scholarships

August 19, 2026

Group Takes Tinubu Re-election Campaign to Abuja Streets

August 19, 2026

UN Raises Alarm Over $159m Funding Gap, Warns Millions of Nigerians May Miss Lifesaving Aid

August 19, 2026

Zulum Approves N2.65bn for Foreign Scholars, Doubles Borno Local Scholarships

August 19, 2026

Gombe Gov Yahaya Approves N148.76m Monthly Subvention Increase for State University

August 19, 2026
© 2026 All Rights Reserved. The Gazelle News. Designed By DeedsTech.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.